New advisory fuel rates from 2017-2018 from HMRC

  • by Carole Jordan
  • 11 Aug, 2017
HMRC Advisory fuel rates small business accountants brighton

HMRC have released their new advisory fuel rates for drivers of company vehicles. These came into effect from 1st July and allow reimbursement of fuel tax free at these levels.

What are the new advisory fuel rates?

These new rates will need to be used from July 1st 2017 for all of your relevant employees.

See our table below for a detailed breakdown of the different rates.

Engine size Petrol per mile LPG per mile Diesel per mile
Up to 1,400cc 11p (11p) 7p (7p) -
1,401cc to 2,000cc 14p (14p) 9p (9p) -
Up to 1,600cc - - 9p (9p)
1,601cc to 2,000cc - - 11p (11p)
Over 2,000cc 21p (22p) 14p (14p) 13p (13p)

VAT savings to be made

If you’re paying your employee fuel expenses then you can reclaim the VAT from these costs – equal to one-sixth of the cost incurred.

If you’re looking for more advice on employee benefits and expenses then see our blog series on these topics:

-         Could rewarding your employees give them a larger tax bill?

-         Important changes to employee benefit reporting

-         Tax relief for childcare costs - Do Small Businesses have a choice?

If you would like further advice on any of the above then please give us a call on: 01273 882200.

If you enjoyed the blog, why not leave us a comment, or share it with a friend...

Free advice delivered to your inbox

Browse our other blog posts...

Our latest blog

by Carole Jordan 12 Oct, 2017

This is the first in our series of blogs designed to help you better understand your business accounts. We’re kicking things off with the profit & loss report!

by Carole Jordan 09 Oct, 2017

Taking on your first employee can be an exciting time but there are some responsibilities you need to be aware of. One of them is compulsory pensions these are your auto-enrolment responsibilities. Find out what this means below.

by Carole Jordan 02 Oct, 2017

This is the second most popular question from business owners. This sounds like a simple question but the answer is complex and involves many aspects to consider. The answers will depend on the make of the car, the tax position of the owner, their business and the method of ownership.

by Carole Jordan 25 Sep, 2017

Dealing with overseas customers and VAT rules can be a bit complicated for some businesses, particularly those in retail where you may not have proof that goods are leaving the UK.
Read below to find out more about the options available to your business.

by Carole Jordan 18 Sep, 2017

If you receive rental income from a furnished residential letting then you’ll be aware of a “Wear and Tear” allowance, eligible for use against your properties. This allowance recently saw a change to its terms, read below for more details.

More posts
Share by: