Important changes to employee benefit reporting for this year

  • by Carole Jordan
  • 19 Jun, 2017
P11D reporting employee benefits Accountants Brighton
´╗┐From the beginning of the new tax year (2016/17) two key changes took place which employers now need to action in connection with completing P11Ds and your P11D(b) before 6th July 2017.

The end of exemption on benefits for lower paid employees

Until tax year 2016/17 when employees didn’t earn more than £8,500 in a tax year they didn’t pay tax when they were provided with benefits such as company cars, private health care etc. so long as their total remuneration, including benefits, was below £8,500. 

From 6th April 2016 any benefits provided to a ‘lower paid worker’ will now be taxed the same as employees. Hence, company cars will be assessed at a cash equivalent based on their CO2 emissions and their market value and many other benefits will be assessed at a percentage of their cost value. 

Employees who have other income will see a tax increase if their total income exceeds the personal allowance, employers will be subject to employers national insurance at 13.8% on the value of these benefits.

Good news! Business reimbursements can now be excluded

Previously, when expenses were reimbursed to employees either a dispensation had to be obtained from HMRC, confirming that all expenses are 100% business related or, the expense reported on a P11D and a letter sent to HMRC by the employee confirming their claims were 100% business expenses. If this didn’t happen the employee was taxed on their reimbursed expenses. 

To replace this cumbersome approach, with effect from 5th April 2016 an employer will simply need to ensure that if any non-business expense reimbursements are included in the benefits reporting on P11Ds or by pay rolling. 

For our clients and other small businesses, this means that genuine business reimbursement can take place without unnecessary administration and concern about adhering to complex and detailed regulation.

But there is danger ahead...

As of June 2017 there are proposals to change some benefits which are currently tax free. For the time being and until the new government has got its act together there is a respite from these changes. 

Giving staff benefits in any way beyond their salary or a payrolled bonus is fraught with danger. To be sure you keep safe from penalties for not reporting and paying tax and national insurance correctly always take professional advice. 

If you need any further advice on any of the above please get in touch. You can call us on: 01273 882200 or search our blog for more free small business advice.

All details above were correct at the time of publishing - for more up to date information please     get in touch .    

You might also be interested in...

If you enjoyed the blog, why not leave us a comment, or share it with a friend...

Free advice delivered to your inbox

Browse our other blog posts...

Our latest blog

by Carole Jordan 19 Jan, 2018

It’s always nice to reward your employees, especially those who may have worked for your business for a long time. Find out how you can do this and still reap the tax benefits.

by Carole Jordan 12 Jan, 2018
Now, more than ever, exporting across the world offers an opportunity not seen for many decades. 

If you want to grow your exports then the government want to help you on your way with Finance, Insurance and opportunities to meet potential customers. Yippee!

by Carole Jordan 08 Jan, 2018

There’s a hidden gap in skills and knowledge between those of us who are qualified Accountants, and those who refer to themselves as Accountants.  Every day we make an investment in your business to ensure you receive the quality of advice you need to protect your business.

by Carole Jordan 03 Jan, 2018

It’s January and its ‘National Pay Your Self-Assessment Tax Month’!
Your tax return should be safely in the HMRC net now but if you didn’t file before 12th December you will not receive a statement and payslip in the post. In any case, it’s best to brace yourself for making the payment as the statements are drip feeding very slowly through the postal system as I write.

by Carole Jordan 15 Dec, 2017
An easier way to pay your impending tax bill could be through your PAYE tax code. Find out if you qualify and how you can go about setting this up.
More posts
Share by: