How to maximise your tax relief when incorporating your business?

  • by Carole Jordan
  • 13 Jun, 2016

You can claim capital allowances for the cost of the equipment used within your business.
However if you then decide to incorporate your business things can get complicated.
Here’s our tip to avoid losing out.

Transferring your capital equipment without losing tax relief

When you transfer your business to a limited company the legal position is that you are selling your business to your company. Because of this your equipment is considered sold, at the market value price, and then re-bought by your new business for the same price. Putting a value on equipment is not always easy and can sometimes lead to a loss of capital allowances.

100% Capital Allowances under the Annual Investment Allowance are not available in the last year of trading, this can be onerous on the business in the year before it is incorporated. There may also be balancing charges arising from the market valuation of the equipment, meaning tax relief previously given is clawed back and future allowances are spread over a number of years at 18% per annum.

How to avoid this capital allowance chaos?

  • Your old business (unincorporated) and new business (incorporated) can elect to transfer your equipment at the tax written down value. This allows any equipment purchased in the penultimate year to receive capital allowance at the usual writing down amount and to continue that unbroken in the Limited Company.
  • Try to avoid spending large amounts of money on any equipment in your final accounting period of your sole trader/partnership business.
  • If you have to invest in equipment close to your incorporation date, draw up your final set of accounts after this investment but leaving a further period before your incorporation. This will allow you to claim full capital allowances on equipment within your penultimate set of accounts.

This is a complex area and specific to each business and the nature of your capital items. If you’re thinking of incorporating your business speak to a qualified accountant before you do so.

Contact Carole Jordan on 01273 882200, or email us at for a full and comprehensive service to help you incorporate painlessly.

All details above were correct at the time of publishing - for more up to date information please get in touch .

You might also be interested in...

If you enjoyed the blog, why not leave us a comment, or share it with a friend...

Free advice delivered to your inbox

Browse our other blog posts...

Our latest blog

by Carole Jordan 19 Jan, 2018

It’s always nice to reward your employees, especially those who may have worked for your business for a long time. Find out how you can do this and still reap the tax benefits.

by Carole Jordan 12 Jan, 2018
Now, more than ever, exporting across the world offers an opportunity not seen for many decades. 

If you want to grow your exports then the government want to help you on your way with Finance, Insurance and opportunities to meet potential customers. Yippee!

by Carole Jordan 08 Jan, 2018

There’s a hidden gap in skills and knowledge between those of us who are qualified Accountants, and those who refer to themselves as Accountants.  Every day we make an investment in your business to ensure you receive the quality of advice you need to protect your business.

by Carole Jordan 03 Jan, 2018

It’s January and its ‘National Pay Your Self-Assessment Tax Month’!
Your tax return should be safely in the HMRC net now but if you didn’t file before 12th December you will not receive a statement and payslip in the post. In any case, it’s best to brace yourself for making the payment as the statements are drip feeding very slowly through the postal system as I write.

by Carole Jordan 15 Dec, 2017
An easier way to pay your impending tax bill could be through your PAYE tax code. Find out if you qualify and how you can go about setting this up.
More posts
Share by: