Are your dividends legal?

  • by Carole Jordan
  • 10 Jul, 2017
declaring dividends correctly small business accountants brighton
Without the right declaration process you could find yourself with a higher tax bill, rather than the tax saving you had hoped for from dividends. Follow our tips below to be sure you get those tax savings.

The Dividend trap

Dividends are a distribution from after tax profit and can be paid to shareholders based on their shareholdings. They are often a more tax efficient way of taking money from your company. BUT it is absolutely essential that you have made enough profit to avoid extra company tax, income tax and national insurance. Money in the bank doesn’t always equate to the amount you can take as dividend. You should also be aware that dividend tax rates have been increased, and they are set to increase further in 2018/19 .

When can you take a Dividend?

You must know your available distributable profits. If you don’t have final accounts prepared you will need to estimate your post tax profits. This means using your bookkeeping records or management accounts and estimating the tax due on those profits. Only then do you know for sure that you can take a dividend.

How do you protect yourself from extra tax?

Only take dividends within your distributable profit figure and you will avoid tax which is due on any overpaid amount. The over payment is treated, for legal purposes, as a loan from the company and if this loan is not repaid within 9 months of the end of the company’s financial year additional corporation tax is due.

You will also avoid paying any additional income tax and national insurance on the balance of the loan, because it is an interest free loan, and therefore an employee benefit.

To protect yourself from HMRC demands to treat your dividend as a salary, do the paperwork! A board minute declaring a dividend will state that the directors intended the payment/s to be a distribution of profit and not a salary.

What should you do if you take too much Dividend?

Firstly, don’t panic! Put the disciplines in place that we have mentioned above and look to recover the situation.

If you cannot repay the overpayment immediately, you have 9 months to do so before the extra company tax is due.

Work with your accountant to monitor the situation so you are aware of your tax liabilities and don’t breach any more rules, such as the submission of a P11D declaring the interest free loan taken.

And, don’t think loans from your company are necessarily a bad thing. They can be useful if used correctly, but there are rules around this that need to be attended to.

For more information you can see HMRC’s guide on running a limited company, and more specifically how to take money out of a limited company .

Our services are broad and bespoke to you, if you need help declaring dividends or finalising your Accounts then get in touch. We’re happy to discuss the needs of your Limited Company and find a package that works for you and your budget.

All details above were correct at the time of publishing - for more up to date information please   get in touch .

Read our blog for more information about Dividends...

If you enjoyed the blog, why not leave us a comment, or share it with a friend...

Free advice delivered to your inbox

Browse our other blog posts...

Our latest blog

by Carole Jordan 19 Jan, 2018

It’s always nice to reward your employees, especially those who may have worked for your business for a long time. Find out how you can do this and still reap the tax benefits.

by Carole Jordan 12 Jan, 2018
Now, more than ever, exporting across the world offers an opportunity not seen for many decades. 

If you want to grow your exports then the government want to help you on your way with Finance, Insurance and opportunities to meet potential customers. Yippee!

by Carole Jordan 08 Jan, 2018

There’s a hidden gap in skills and knowledge between those of us who are qualified Accountants, and those who refer to themselves as Accountants.  Every day we make an investment in your business to ensure you receive the quality of advice you need to protect your business.

by Carole Jordan 03 Jan, 2018

It’s January and its ‘National Pay Your Self-Assessment Tax Month’!
Your tax return should be safely in the HMRC net now but if you didn’t file before 12th December you will not receive a statement and payslip in the post. In any case, it’s best to brace yourself for making the payment as the statements are drip feeding very slowly through the postal system as I write.

by Carole Jordan 15 Dec, 2017
An easier way to pay your impending tax bill could be through your PAYE tax code. Find out if you qualify and how you can go about setting this up.
More posts
Share by: