Is there an alternative to taking Dividends now tax is higher?

  • by Carole Jordan
  • 28 Jul, 2017

Since the change to Dividend tax came in you may be wondering if there are more tax efficient ways of drawing funds from your company.  Read more for an idea that can save tax each year.

So, is there an alternative to Dividends?

The short answer is yes! But it does need some thought. The changes to Dividend tax came in last year, and more changes are due from 2018/19 ! Here is an alternative if you wish to build a pension pot for the future and maximise the tax savings today.

Employer pension contributions

For those of you with excess profits not needed as working capital or simply as a safety buffer, then this may be a viable option. Adding to your employer pension pot using your excess profit is usually tax deductible.  This allows you to save tax on the contributions, retain an investment increasing in value and enjoy those extra pounds when your income level is lower and any tax paid reduced.

And investment opportunity - Purchase a commercial property

Your pension contributions are paid into a ‘Small Self Administered Scheme’ (SSAS) which allows you to hold certain assets including commercial property. This can be very helpful for businesses who wish to purchase a commercial property, or, own a property already.

If your business currently owns its own commercial premises you can use your pension contributions to buy it as an investment for your pension trust. Be aware that capital gains tax may arise on the sale if the property has increased in value since it was purchased. Alternatively, if you do not yet own a business property your pension contributions are a way to save for this opportunity.

It is possible for the pension trust to borrow a limited amount to fund the purchase of the property if your accumulated contributions are not quite sufficient.

More tax savings!

When the property is ultimately sold there is usually no capital gains tax payable. 

And, having purchased the property, if your business occupies the property, you will then be able to rent the property back to the business obtaining tax relief for rental costs against business income.

Meanwhile any rent paid into the pension fund is tax free as a return on investment.


You will pay income tax when you withdraw your pension as normal, however your total income is likely to be lower and so your tax liability less than whilst you are working.

Please seek further advice on this type of Dividend alternative. We are experienced tax advisors and we’re happy to discuss any of the above in further detail. You can reach us on: 01273 882200.

All details above were correct at the time of publishing - for more up to date information please   get in touch .

Why not leave us a comment, or share with a friend...

Want free advice for your small business?
Sign up to our blog

Browse our other Small Business posts

Our latest blog

by Carole Jordan 11 Aug, 2017

HMRC have released their new advisory fuel rates for drivers of company vehicles. These came into effect from 1st July and allow reimbursement of fuel tax free at these levels.

by Carole Jordan 04 Aug, 2017

Nobody wants to pay tax on divorce. So how do you keep your tax bill down while coming to a sensible arrangement with your spouse?

by Carole Jordan 28 Jul, 2017

Since the change to Dividend tax came in you may be wondering if there are more tax efficient ways of drawing funds from your company.  Read more for an idea that can save tax each year.

by Carole Jordan 18 Jul, 2017

I love the summer for sitting back and reflecting on the year. Thinking back to the dark days of winter and forward to the joy of Christmas time. Now is the ideal time to review how your business is going and as you revive yourself through holidays and sunshine you’ll be well placed to make any changes come the autumn.

by Carole Jordan 17 Jul, 2017
Landlords will be expected to use Cash Basis Accounting from 2017/18.  
So what does that mean for your rental property accounts and tax?
More posts

Which Small Business support are you looking for?

Share by: