Advice for saving tax on your rental income

  • by Carole Jordan
  • 18 Aug, 2017
Advice for saving tax on your rental income brighton accountant

If you’re a residential property landlord, then don’t miss out on these tax relief options available to be used against your rental income. Read on to find out more.

Tax advice for residential property landlords

Your first let and the legal expenses:

A common misconception which you may have heard is that legal costs associated with the first time you let your property are not tax deductible. This isn’t true 100% of the time. If your first let is for no longer than 1 year than the legal expenses incurred can be considered tax deductible.

If your first lease is for longer than 1 year then you may be able to deduct your legal expenses if your tenant renews their lease. Legal expenses are tax deductible on lease renewals which are for less than 50 years and don’t include a lump sum payment or premium.

Types of deductible travel expenses:
If travelling “wholly and exclusively” to deal with a rental problem, or to visit your rental property, then the costs incurred are tax deductible. If you’re using your car you can claim a proportion of your motor expenses, or use  HMRC’s mileage allowance  which is usually more generous and easier to work out.

Capital allowances for your rental property:

You can’t claim capital allowances for equipment bought to be used by the tenants renting your property. You can however claim capital allowances for the equipment you buy to run your rental property business. This could be tools, with a life expectancy longer than 2 years, or even a computer. However, these expenses must be proportioned to account for the use of these items in non-business activities. Tools with a life expectancy of less than 2 years are tax deductible, regardless of capital allowances rules.

We’re experienced tax advisors , qualified to help you with your rental property income. Give us a call on: 01273 882200 to discuss your situation more in depth.

If you’d like more information on buy-to-let taxation see our other blogs in this series:

-         How should landlords report their lettings income?

-         Don’t fall for this buy-to-let tax trap

All details above were correct at the time of publishing - for more up to date information please get in touch.

If you enjoyed the blog, why not leave us a comment, or share it with a friend...

Free advice delivered to your inbox

Browse our other blog posts...

Our latest blog

by Carole Jordan 08 Dec, 2017

Rent a room relief is a scheme that enables you to rent a room in your home for some tax benefits. But how do you qualify for the scheme? Read on to find out more.

by Carole Jordan 04 Dec, 2017

This may sound like a complicated issue but it doesn’t need to be. Read below to find out the key points you need to consider.

by Carole Jordan 27 Nov, 2017

The budget announcement continues to be a ‘laugh a minute’ as successive chancellors take the opportunity to present their comedy chops and ridicule the opposition whilst the house of commons roars like a herd of asses’. This year there were a lot of ‘long economiky words’ and a promise of ‘maths for everyone’ amongst other gags.

by Carole Jordan 23 Nov, 2017
The Chancellor Phillip Hammond announced the following changes relevant to businesses yesterday.
by Carole Jordan 20 Nov, 2017

In response to a request from one of our readers I’m going to address losses, which occur in a business on a regular basis for a variety of reasons.

More posts
Share by: